Pediatric Oncology and Endocrinology - Advanced Practice Provider
Rush University Medical Center presents an exciting opportunity for an Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant in Pediatric Oncology and Endocrine. The Advanced Practice Provider promotes collaboration between multiple disciplines to ensure cost effective and quality patient care. The individual who holds this position exemplifies the Rush mission, vision, and values and acts in accordance with Rush policies and procedures. The schedule for this position is generally first shift hours from 8am – 5pm and is a combination of inpatient and outpatient work. The inpatient portion supports the Pediatric Oncology section through daily rounding and coordination of chemotherapy treatment plans with Physicians, Pharmacy, and Nursing. The outpatient portion of the role supports the Pediatric Endocrinology section through clinic visits.
- Completes and documents an accurate history and physical examination of patients.
- Conducts comprehensive or episodic health assessments and develops patient care plans.
- Orders and interprets tests, treatments, and therapies within the scope of practice.
- Prescribes medications, including controlled substances, to the extent delegated including non-pharmacologic treatment modalities.
- Orders,interprets, and performs laboratory and other diagnostic tests and procedures.
- Provides clear, concise, and accurate information in the electronic medical record.
- Initiates and performs consultations in accordance with Rush rules and regulations.
- Makes appropriate referrals to other healthcare professionals and/or agencies.
- Provides direct patient care in assigned areas.
- Works collaboratively with collaborating physician, department, and other members of the healthcare team in an effective and comprehensive manner.
- Acts as an advocate for patients, families, coworkers, and the physician assistant profession.
- Integrates evidence-based knowledge and clinical expertise in decision-making.
- Maintains board certification, state licensure, and continuing medical education as outlined by hospital, state, and federal policy.
- Supports the organization’s overall strategic plan and direction.
- Serves as a leader of the healthcare team to provide integrated delivery of patient care services.
- Actively participates in ongoing and systematic quality improvement efforts.
- Demonstrates accountability for own professional practice and improvement.
- Develops and leads implementation of department goals by collaborating with department staff, students, and physicians.
- Serves as a role model and thought leader.
- Manages resources effectively.
- Demonstrates understanding of patient documentation, compliance, and billing best practices.
- Provides relevant and comprehensive patient education to patients, families, and significant others.
- Fosters growth and development of students and other healthcare professionals.
- Continuously assess personal capabilities and limitations, striving to improve medical practice.
- Uses knowledge and expertise to contribute to an improved community.
Position Qualifications Include:
- Current or In Process State of Illinois Physician Assistant Licensure required.
- Current Certification from National Certification Commission for Physician Assistants (NCCPA) required.
- Degree from an ARC-PA (or predecessor) accredited PA Program required; Master’s degree preferred.
- BLS certification required.
- Current State of Illinois Registered Nurse (RN) and Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) Licensure required.
- Graduate from an accredited nurse practitioner educational program.
- The APN’s education and specialty board certification must correlate with the APP’s job role, setting, responsibility and patient population.
- Master’s or Doctorate degree in nursing required.
- BLS certification required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrates competency in all areas of APP practice including medical knowledge, interpersonal and communication skills, patient care, professionalism, practice-based learning and improvement, and systems-based practice.
- Skilled in preparing and maintaining electronic and paper medical records.
- Knowledge of emerging trends in technologies, techniques, issues, and approaches in area of expertise.
- Strong work ethic, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to work autonomously and collaboratively with collaborating physician, department, and other members of the healthcare team in an effective and comprehensive manner.
- Ranked among the top academic medical centers in the country, Rush University Medical Center is an outstanding place to enhance your career. Everything we do centers on one goal: improving patient care.
- Rush is an academic health system comprising Rush University Medical Center, Rush Copley Medical Center and Rush Oak Park Hospital.
- Ranked among the top 20 best places to work in healthcare by Indeed.
- Rush is ranked second for Quality and Accountability among 102 leading academic medical centers in the United States in a study conducted by the health care services company Vizient.
- For the 12th consecutive time, Rush University Medical Center and Rush-Copley Medical Center received an A grade in a nationwide safety evaluation of hospitals,putting them among the top 2.2 percent of hospitals.
- Rush offers a competitive salary, and valuable healthy living benefits including: health, dental and vision to help you maintain and improve your health. Rush also offers several ways to invest in your future.
More about Rush University Medical Center:
Rush University Medical Center is an academic medical center that encompasses a 669-bed hospital serving adults and children. In January 2012, Rush opened a new 376-bed hospital building, known as the Tower, which is part of the Medical Center’s major renovation of its campus.
Rush University is home to one of the first medical colleges in the Midwest and one of the nation’s top-ranked nursing colleges, as well as graduate programs in allied health, health systems management and biomedical research. The Medical Center also offers more than 70 highly selective residency and fellowship programs in medical and surgical specialties and subspecialties.
Rush is consistently ranked as one of the nation’s top hospitals by U.S. News & World Report. Rush is ranked in 7 of 16 categories in U.S. News & World Report's 2018–2019 “America's Best Hospitals” issue, and is one of the two top-ranked hospitals in Illinois overall.
Rush was one of four hospitals in the country that the American Hospital Association honored for equity of care in June of 2018.
Rush was the first hospital in Illinois serving adults and children to receive Magnet status—the highest honor in nursing—and the first in Illinois to earn a fourth four-year designation.
Rush has been ranked among the country's top 100 hospitals—and 15 major teaching hospitals—four times by Truven Health Analytics, a leading provider of health care data and analytics.
The Human Rights Campaign, a civil rights organization that advocates for equality for people who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and/or queer/questioning named Rush University Medical Center a leader in LGBT Health Equality for the tenth consecutive year.
If you’d like to know more about this position, please contact me directly. You can also express your interest through the link below.