The Provost is appointed at the discretion of the President of Rush University and is the Chief Operating Officer of Rush University (the “University”), with the primary operational responsibility for Rush University. The Provost is the individual responsible for executing the Strategic Plan for University. The Provost works as the senior staff member, and reports directly to, the President of Rush University to ensure that the research and education operating divisions are thriving academically and fiscally, while promoting integration with the Rush clinical enterprise, i.e.: Rush University Medical Center (RUMC) and the Rush University System for Health.
The Provost is responsible for coordinating and overseeing the implementation of the academic and operational policies of the University. These policy areas include, but are not limited to: accreditation, admissions, curriculum, financial aid, program assessment, and strategic planning. In addition, the Provost partners closely at the executive level with the office of the Chief Executive Officer of RUMC to assure integration of all operating components that support the Mission of the medical center. The Provost is a member of the senior operations team of RUMC and is appointed at the discretion of the President.
University philosophy statement:
The Provost commits to executing and advancing the University’s mission – providing outstanding health sciences education, conducting impactful research in a culture of including, and focusing on health promotion and preservation – as well as the University’s core values of innovation, collaboration, accountability, respect and excellence.
- Chief operating officer for Rush University responsible for the business of the University, including but not limited to: management of administration, finance, facilities and academic resources
- Provides operational oversight for all missions of the university: Education, Research, Student, and Faculty Affairs through the relevant Vice Provosts
- Leads and promotes the full integration of the University with RUMC
- Serves as the leader for academic affiliations including external promotion of Rush University along with the support of the President
- Executes a vision and strategic plan that advances all missions of the University, one that builds upon current strengths but recognizes the rapid evolution in objectives, technologies, and desired outcomes in the University’s missions
- Assists in the recruitment of outstanding faculty members and leaders for the University
- Develops and oversees an effective leadership team
- Serves as an effective and accountable partner to Rush University Medical Center, acknowledging the needs and constraints of the clinical enterprise, while serving as a passionate advocate of the core education and research missions, and their appropriate integration with clinical activities
- Develops new and enhances existing strategic alliances with partners in accordance with the University strategic plan
- Works collaboratively with institutional officers, eg. Compliance, Legal, Human Resources, Marketing , Communications, and others to advance the mission and vision of Rush University
Required minimum knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Possess an earned doctorate degree in a recognized health sciences discipline from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrated experience of ten or more years in an executive leadership capacity in an academic health system, higher education or related setting.
- Demonstrated commitment to advance the University’s core values of innovation, collaboration, accountability and respect in all relationships and encounters.
- A record of strong people and communication skills with an ability to communicate a clear vision; educate and develop others; and, work effectively with diverse constituencies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of program, state and national accrediting standards and regulatory requirements.
- Ability to form productive and meaningful partnerships and networks that promote the University, health care and higher education partners, and participation in communities.
- Experience in creating a collegial culture and environment that welcomes and embraces diversity.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for this job. It is not intended to be a complete statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
Rush is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
More about Rush University Medical Center:
Rush University Medical Center is an academic medical center that encompasses a 669-bed hospital serving adults and children. In January 2012, Rush opened a new 376-bed hospital building, known as the Tower, which is part of the Medical Center’s major renovation of its campus.
Rush University is home to one of the first medical colleges in the Midwest and one of the nation’s top-ranked nursing colleges, as well as graduate programs in allied health, health systems management and biomedical research. The Medical Center also offers more than 70 highly selective residency and fellowship programs in medical and surgical specialties and subspecialties.
Rush is consistently ranked as one of the nation’s top hospitals by U.S. News & World Report. Rush is ranked in 7 of 16 categories in U.S. News & World Report's 2018–2019 “America's Best Hospitals” issue, and is one of the two top-ranked hospitals in Illinois overall.
Rush was one of four hospitals in the country that the American Hospital Association honored for equity of care in June of 2018.
Rush was the first hospital in Illinois serving adults and children to receive Magnet status—the highest honor in nursing—and the first in Illinois to earn a fourth four-year designation.
Rush has been ranked among the country's top 100 hospitals—and 15 major teaching hospitals—four times by Truven Health Analytics, a leading provider of health care data and analytics.
The Human Rights Campaign, a civil rights organization that advocates for equality for people who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and/or queer/questioning named Rush University Medical Center a leader in LGBT Health Equality for the tenth consecutive year.
If you’d like to know more about this position, please contact me directly. You can also express your interest through the link below.