*Interested Applicants, please click here to apply!
The Director of Academic Education is responsible for developing and maintaining the didactic curriculum for the PA Program, in the College of Health Sciences Department of PA Studies. Duties include: conducting analyses of didactic curriculum efficiency and designing and implementing data-based course modifications as appropriate; developing and implementing data-based learning and assessment tools for all didactic year courses; coordinating lectures and academic schedule; supporting teaching development for principal and instructional faculty; overseeing curriculum to ensure effectiveness of education towards meeting both ARC-PA accreditation standards and the PA Program’s mission, vision, and goals; and participate in general faculty activities such as research, service, teaching and student mentoring. This faculty position exemplifies the Rush mission, vision, and values, and acts in accordance with Rush policies and procedures.
• Support the mission, vision, goals and objectives of the college, university, and medical center.
• Maintain/improve the quality of the programs, as demonstrated by program outcomes and rankings.
• Maintain/improve the quality of the clinical and support service activities provided by the programs.
• Support professional, community, and continuing education service activities within the programs.
• Provide development and a positive and productive work environment for clinical faculty and staff.
• Promote diversity within the program, college, and university.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversight of didactic year curriculum
• Establish and maintain learning goals and objectives for the didactic training portion of the curriculum, consistent with professional practice, PA Program, and ARC-PA standards.
• Develop and maintain didactic year assessment tools and facilitate data-based curricular change decisions as needed.
• Support student learning activities in attaining the program’s academic competency standards.
• Maintain and disseminate the academic calendar, including ensuring compliance with initiatives affecting the PA Program calendar or academic schedule.
• Foster communication and collaboration among the PA faculty and staff through meetings and/or consultation.
• Coordinate all evaluation processes and ensure feedback and action plans are communicated in a timely manner
• Address student performance deficiencies and develop, implement, and monitor remediation plans in an effective and timely manner
• Ensure students are oriented to, and maintain all policies and procedures related to the PA Program, the College of Health Sciences, and Rush University.
• Maintain records regarding the attainment of didactic competencies and evaluations associated with didactic performance.
• Recruit and orient instructional faculty and engage in ongoing faculty assessment and mentoring to ensure lecturer adherence to program quality standards.
• Assist with coordinating community service activities.
• Assist with research supervision and mentor student research.
• Effectively teach courses as assigned in the College of Health Sciences.
• Promote evidence-based practice and research.
• Generate and disseminate new knowledge in the field of Physician Assistant practice.
• Serve on or chair Program, College, or University committees as appointed.
• Participate in clinical practice as designated by the Program or Department.
• Other duties as assigned by the Program Director and/or Department Chair
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledgeable in educational pedagogy
• Experience in PA clinical practice (minimum 2 years)
• Interprofessional clinical and educational training experience preferred
• Excellent working knowledge and experience with MS Office, word processing, Excel, Powerpoint, and web applications
• Excellent teaching ability, with aptitude in research and scholarly activities
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills and professional demeanor
• Excellent problem solving skills
• Able to consistently instruct and counsel students in an informative and professional manner
• Able and willing to learn new skills as needed, especially to work with new technologies that become available
• Able and willing to attend off-site educational and professional conferences and seminars
• Able to seek out and pursue research and funding opportunities
• Certified Physician Assistant with a master's degree in a field related to the health sciences, education, or management is required. Having or in the process of attaining a doctorate in a field appropriate to providing academic leadership for the PA profession is preferred.
• Must have or be eligible for licensure as a Physician Assistant in the State of Illinois
• Have at least two years of clinical experience as a clinically practicing Physician Assistant. Additional experience in Physician Assistant education is strongly preferred
• Have demonstrated abilities in teaching, research and scholarship, student advisement, committee service, management, and administration
• Active in relevant professional associations
• Demonstrated leadership role in organizations or societies external to Rush University related to the profession is preferred
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Rush University Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or Protected Veteran status.
job, healthcare, licensure, medical, clinical, wellness, career, employment, opening, staff, benefits, health care, clinic, Chicago
Rush University Medical Center is an elite medical community recognized for excellence in patient care, medical discovery and clinical expertise. Our continued pursuits have earned Rush University Medical Center the distinction of being on U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals Honor Roll for 2020-2021. This places the Medical Center amongst the top 20 of the 3,000 hospitals evaluated. U.S. News & World Report has also recognized 11 Rush programs amongst the nation’s best, including top five national rankings for orthopedics, neurology and neurosurgery.
These accolades, along with many others that include a decade of Magnet® designation, are a reflection of the collective efforts and commitment to excellence demonstrated by our physicians, advanced practitioners, nurses and medical staff.
Rush is united by diversity, inclusion and a commitment to health equity. Rush is also a perennial “Leader in LGBT Healthcare Equality.”
Quality of life
Chicago offers an excellent selection of homes in downtown, suburban and rural locations, as well as public and private schools and colleges. Local museums, entertainment, culture and the arts are world-class. Celebrated restaurants, craft breweries and local distilleries abound.
Research at Rush
Rush is currently involved in more than 1,600 research studies, many NIH-funded. Rush’s long tradition of discovery dates back to determining the causes of scarlet fever, heart attacks and sickle cell anemia. Today we’re also leaders in neurosciences, cancer, immunology, infection, regenerative medicine and more. Join us in spearheading life-changing research at the national level.
Protected health information (PHI) and HIPAA compliance
HireControl does not collect any of the following data: